CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Ironing Board Tutorial

What you will need:

¾ inch plywood
Insul-Brite (4 inches larger on all sides of your plywood)
Batting (exactly the size of your plywood)
Canvas fabric
Staple gun & staples

NOTE: The ironing board hubby is making for me is 22 inches x 61 inches which will fit the drawers I have. The ironing board will sit on top of them.

Prepare your plywood. You may need to sand it a little. The plywood hubby bought didn't need anything done to it, which was nice. We bought it at Lowe's and they cut it for us to the measurements we needed. (I really love Lowe's for doing that!)

1. As you can see, I'm going to place my batting into the plywood. I used a 'high-loft' batting (Fig. 1). Make sure you push out any wrinkles. Hubby then stapled the batting to the sides of the plywood, making sure everything was smooth from all sides. (Fig. 2)

Fig. 1

 

Fig. 2

3. I then cut off any extra batting along the side of the plywood. Notice on the left side, I haven't cut any of the extra off yet. (And yes, Martha got into the picture too.) (Fig. 3)

Fig 3

4. This is what my ironing board looks like so far with batting attached. Onward to the Insul-Brite!! Ü (Fig. 4)

  Fig 4

5. We put the Insul-Brite on next with the shiny side up. Once more we put the Insul-Brite only on the top and sides of the plywood. (Fig 5) This can be rather tedious, and be done with at least 2 people and keep an eye out for any wrinkles.

  Fig 5

6. Next we placed the canvas fabric onto the Insul-Brite, again making sure there are no wrinkles. This fabric we place over the sides and onto the back of the plywood. This will keep the fabric from bunching up on the sides. (fig.6)

Fig. 6

7. And there you have it!!!! I LOVE my new ironing board. As you know I have limited space for sewing so I have to make everything work in a little space. The drawers below my new ironing board were bought at Walmart. I have 8 long drawers, 2 small drawers, 2 deep/tall small drawers, 2 medium/tall drawers. Hubby built them up so that I have a cubby hole to hold my cutting mat.   (fig. 7)

  Fig. 7

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment